Do u have to brush dog’s teeth? Of course, you do. Although, it is not an easy job. Some people also think it is pretty risky. But you do have to take care of your buddy, right? The thing is, brushing a dog’s teeth is quite easy. There are some things you need to follow for the proper method. Then, how to brush dog’s teeth?
We will provide you with the preparation method along with a step-by-step guide. You can’t just use any other method, So we will mention vet-approved methods.
Why Should You Brush Your Dog’s Teeth?
Now, this is a silly question. Why shouldn’t you, right? Brushing teeth is necessary to keep your mouth clean. That goes the same for the dog as well. A dog may explore the neighborhood and taste different types of things. Who knows what they have eaten! Regardless, you need to brush their teeth to keep them clean. Besides, there is hardly any idea about how to clean dog teeth without brushing.
In fact, brushing also removes the bad smell. Even more, regular brushing keeps your dog safe from bacterial invasions. Many types of periodontal diseases, infections, and similar things can happen. If there is any major issue, the dog can lose one or several teeth in the process.
Only brushing them on a fixed schedule can save your dog’s teeth. But, it is not easy to prepare them, right? Let’s see how to prepare a dog for it. Afterward, we will learn how to brush dog’s teeth.
Prepare Your Dog for Teeth Brushing
If you know why it is necessary to brush dog teeth, let’s talk about the preparation. This is the hardest part. You know the reason, right? It isn’t so easy to get your dog to prepare for a brush. Many of them quite hate it. Well, you should know how to convince your pet buddy, don’t you?
First of all, you should have a good relationship and understanding with your dog. People often ask about how to brush dog teeth when they refuse. If you don’t have such a relationship, then don’t go for it. It is quite hard. Let someone else handle it. If you do have, then we have the next suggestions for you. Later, we will mention how to brush a dog’s teeth. But, that comes after the initial preparation. Follow us.
- Pick a perfect time- There are times when your dog stays in its best condition. Pick such a time when they are playful and most likely to cooperate with you.
- Start the processing by holding them a bit close- Don’t be forceful. Be gentle and let them feel closer to you. If they are small, take them into your lap. If the dog is large, keep them beside you. You can use a chair/sitting tool to match their height.
- At first, they can be a bit nervous- So, start rubbing the outside of their mouth with a soft cloth. Don’t use bare hands and keep a distance from the teeth. You can get an accidental bite. Rub on their gum and slowly approach the teeth. Wait for them to become comfortable with the rubbing.
- When they get comfortable go for the teeth- Brush them slowly. To make them more interested, use dog toothpaste with flavor. It will take their interest. Don’t use human ones. They are not suitable for a dog. Make sure to keep your fingers’ position safe. When they become comfortable with the whole brushing process, get close to them and start doing it for other teeth. But, do it gently and move from one side to another.
Step by Step Proper Teeth Brushing Technique for Your Dog
The real question was, how to brush dog’s teeth? If you convince your dog and get them ready for the brush, the rest is easy. You should follow the steps to get it done. But, don’t take it too lightly. There are so many techniques involved. You want the best condition for your pet friend, right?
Then, you need to follow several brushing techniques to get the best result. Do you want to know how to brush a dog’s teeth at home? These are vet-approved techniques to do so. Remember that brushing a smaller dog is a bit different than the larger one. So, we will suggest how to brush small dog’s teeth as well. Let’s see.
- Use your non-dominant hand and make a C shape to lift its upper lips. Do it from both sides so that you can easily brush the whole thing.
- You should pick the toothbrush precisely. Its build has to be favorable for your dog. A soft-bristle toothbrush is best to provide comfortability.
- It is better to use only water. Don’t go for chemical solutions. Just use a vet-authorized toothpaste with flavor.
- Use multiple angles and motions to brush the dog’s teeth. Do it at a 45-degree angle. Use a round motion on each tooth as well. Brush the gum gently as well.
- Don’t use too much pressure while brushing their teeth. It can damage or injure their gum. Besides, it can also irritate them. Then, you will not be able to complete the brushing.
- The last part is the most important part. Never forget to treat your pet buddy with some rewards. They love to get rewards for their patience. So, why not for teeth brushing? People often try CBD treats because CBD is safe and has properties that may help your dog remain calm when you try to brush their teeth.
How Often Should You Brush Your Dog’s Teeth?
Now that you know what to do about how to brush dog’s teeth let’s learn how often you should brush your dog’s teeth. Most vets recommend that you should brush your dog’s teeth regularly. At least once per day. Else you can do it once per two days or weekly.
A layer of tartar and bacteria can affect it every day. So, you will get the best health from the daily brush. So, vets suggest that you should brush once every 48-72 hours. That way, your pets won’t be picky eaters anymore.
Frequently Answered Questions
Now that we are done with the discussion let’s answer some quick questions. Such as people often ask, can you brush a dog’s teeth with human toothpaste! Can you? No, you can’t. There are more questions like this. These are the most asking questions from dog owners. We will try to provide the answers as precisely as possible.
Q- What Type of Toothbrush Should You Use?
Small brushes with flexibility. Soft broom along with multiple heads. The handle should have flexible handle positions as well.
Q- Can You Use An Electric Toothbrush To Brush Your Dog’s Teeth?
They are not harmful, but it’s better to avoid them. They cause extra noise and have a fast spin rate. It can scare the dogs. If there is any technical issue, it can also damage their gum or teeth. So, it’s better if you do it manually. If you use one, make sure it has less noise and better stability.
Q- What Type of Toothpaste Should You Use for Your Dog?
It has to be a toothpaste with flavor and recommended by vets.
Q- When to Seek a Professional Dental Cleaning
Suppose there is any strong layer of bacteria or tartar. You must check their health for any infection symptoms as well.
We have discussed how to brush dog’s teeth. It is a hardship that every dog owner faces. As you need to clean them once every 2-3 days, it is quite important. But, many dogs have different things on their mind. They don’t quite like it.
So, you have to go through extra steps to prepare them. We have mentioned those things. In addition, we have discussed the brushing technique. You will find some important FAQs as well. Make sure to follow them as much as you can. Take assistance from the vet for any inconvenient situation.